Jocelyn's Other Desk

The writings of Jocelyn Smith, aspiring author, soon-to-be lawyer, once and future politician, all-around opinionated twentysomething.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I'm a lawyer in Florida, working on three novels, a screenplay, and half a dozen pieces of fanfiction at any given moment.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Missing My Job...

People always say going from the academic world into the Real World workforce is difficult, but I didn't find it so. On the contrary: it was a breath of fresh air.

It's going from the Real World back into school that's killing me.

I loved my job at my firm this summer (as most of you know.) I learned more at my firm than from two years of law school about the actual practice of law. On top of that, at least at my office, people cut to the chase. Lawyers are famous for rambling on and on about nothing--second only to professors.

I'm still in touch with some of the lawyers at my firm, keeping up on the gossip and all. I miss it.

My seminar is currently spending roughly 10 hours (three-plus class sessions) on ridiculously detailed discussion of presentation skills. Oh, come on! We know this already! Or as second and third-year law students, we certainly should.

Let's just WORK, already!

I never liked law school itself that much. I'm just relieved to know I'm going to like being a lawyer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home