Jocelyn's Other Desk

The writings of Jocelyn Smith, aspiring author, soon-to-be lawyer, once and future politician, all-around opinionated twentysomething.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I'm a lawyer in Florida, working on three novels, a screenplay, and half a dozen pieces of fanfiction at any given moment.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Law, How Do I Love Thee...

It's nice to have a productive Monday.

I had a rather melancholy weekend, having finally finished Battle of Wills, and suddenly finding myself feeling bereft and unsure of what to do with myself after the devoting an entire year and much emotion and effort into writing that fic. Still, I have two posts left before this weekend, and then the new book comes out.

But it was hard to concentrate on my academic freedom paper like a good little law student, especially when the material I was working on (academic freedom defenses for sexual harassment complaints) was exceedingly frustrating. Nothing drives me nuttier than not being able to decide what side I'm on.

Today is better. I have half a dozen brand-spanking-new projects, some of which are in areas of law I've never dealt with before. I love all phases of projects for different reasons, but Monday is a good day to start a project: to first pull out the "broad-range" books, the Annotated Statutes, the Digests, the legal encyclopedias, and start learning from scratch.

One such project brushes Entertainment Law. My part of the project doesn't really get into the Entertainment element, but lemme tell you, the background of that case is COOL! (Silly fangirl moment, forgive me.) And unlike the last couple of weeks, the latest round of projects I've been given all revolve around questions of law that have reasonably definitive answers. Not that I mind getting the tough ones (it saves the attorneys time and billable hours) but it's incredibly frustrating to go round and round from case to statute to case to statute and never the twain shall meet.

But today, I have found some answers. And I am happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Are you turning to your original work now? If so, which one?

That's the plan. Above all else, I need to get my academic freedom paper written, but I'm also going to start word-counting Talassia, my historical fiction, and do some serious world-building for my scifi novel.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Is Talassia the pre-Roman one? It sounds good. Go for it. I found it helped when I started setting aside x number of minutes a day to write, no matter what.

I've never taken that particular approach before, so I thought I'd try it with one (or more) of my books.

What do you mean by word counting? Setting a daily word count goal?

Possibly in the future, but for now I'm just going to keep track of how much I actually do per day.

Finish the paper first though. All those tuition dollars, have to give them their due.

(Grumble) Yeah, never get to do anything fun. (pout)

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home