Jocelyn's Other Desk

The writings of Jocelyn Smith, aspiring author, soon-to-be lawyer, once and future politician, all-around opinionated twentysomething.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I'm a lawyer in Florida, working on three novels, a screenplay, and half a dozen pieces of fanfiction at any given moment.

Monday, June 27, 2005

Deadlines and Deadlines...

This week is going to be aggravating.

I have an outline on a "supervised research project" on academic freedom due. (Or as we in law school sometimes call them, "keep Lexis in business" projects.)

I have three big memos due at the office--on three VERY different subjects.

I have about twenty days to get my HP fanfiction finished before Book 6 comes out. It's heading toward the climax of the tale, we're getting over 100 reviews per chapter (woohoo!), but my reader base will disappear off the face of the earth when the "real thing" arrives. Running out of time here!

I'm having muse attacks on a daily basis over my Roman novel. That thing is just screaming to be written. I'm also dying to get into the nitty-gritty on planning my sci-fi world. I want to start doing word counts on my books each day instead of only review counts for the fics.

I just discovered Forward Motion, and joined the community and assuming they don't kick me out as soon as they find out what I got up to over in the Goldberg debates, I think I could learn a lot from that group.

Life's busy. Dunno if I'll have time to post as many rants and ramblings on copyright and other fun stuff, but I'll do what I can.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Well, the FM politics on fanfic is that it cannot be posted on the site (because of the shaky copyright issues and because FM is a site to help writers getting professional and you can't sell fanfic) but there's nothing wrong with admitting that you write it.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Oh, FM is no longer run by Holly Lisle. She gave the leadership to Lazette Gifford (Zette) last year because it took away too much of her time. And the group has 7000someting members, it isn't exactly a family, lol. As long as Jocelyn doesn't start a flame war about fanfiction, she should be save. ;)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Now, now, Claire, let's be realistic: I only insulted her once. And I was a tad worked-up at the time.

Seriously, (hence my "Fanhaters Beware" post) reading her posts on her page, I just felt more bummed than anything, because I can't help but admire her. She's done good things for writers, which is why it bothers me that she and others look down on a particular genre of writing.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home