Jocelyn's Other Desk

The writings of Jocelyn Smith, aspiring author, soon-to-be lawyer, once and future politician, all-around opinionated twentysomething.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I'm a lawyer in Florida, working on three novels, a screenplay, and half a dozen pieces of fanfiction at any given moment.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Life in the Real World...

At long last, I have joined the ranks of the professional world. I started my summer associateship at a law firm in Orlando on Monday, and thus far, although I'm quite exhausted, I am very happy.

Working in law is very different from studying it. Law school questions always revolve around "what would you do if..." whereas here at work, questions deal in realities, "what WILL we/they do," or "what IS the answer." I am enjoying my work in a way I have never enjoyed any kind of studying.

And, joy of joys, my very first assignment involves Copyright! For obvious reasons, I can't go into much detail, but it is a very broad question in an area that I find incredibly interesting, and involves a great deal of learning of material before I can even begin to write my answer to the questions. I am loving it. And wondering why we never had to read Nimmer on Copyright treatise in my Copyright class, because I'm learning more from it than from the textbooks!

And that is all, I must return to billing hours. I've also noticed some very interesting things pertaining to Lewis Perdue's Da Vinci Code suit, which I will post on when I have a little more spare time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lewis Perdue said...

Ah ... you men\an my Da Vinci LEGACY ... yeah, don't worry, it even happens in discussions with my lawyers as well.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

You're lucky I didn't know about your case six months ago! I might be trying to interview YOU as the subject of my summer paper!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there--

You don't know me, but I've followed some of your fanfic, and via fandom wank have seen witnessed a little of the fanfic battle you've waged. My eyebrows went up when I saw that you're at an Orlando firm this summer, because I'm a legal secretary in the Orlando area (Lake County, actually). Just wanted to wish you luck in law school and in your writing.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Thanks, Jeneral! I need all the luck I can get!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home