Jocelyn's Other Desk

The writings of Jocelyn Smith, aspiring author, soon-to-be lawyer, once and future politician, all-around opinionated twentysomething.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Orlando, Florida, United States

I'm a lawyer in Florida, working on three novels, a screenplay, and half a dozen pieces of fanfiction at any given moment.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

File Under "Huh?!"

Tono, honey, baby, what ARE you smoking?

The following appears on Lee Goldberg's blog from Tono...


I am extremely complimented by all your murderous words and fatal thoughts. It's great fun to be a martyr for writing a book. How apt a title, it turns out! And
many others before me have run into this same dilemna. That means I must be
doing something right, to incur so much wrath, so much hatred.
When you look over the totality of it, each one of you, what is your individual opinion of yourself? Any better than your separate expressed opinion of me?
I'm grateful for this experience because it once again reminds me how cruel children can be towards one another except I expect we're not children here, so what is our excuse?
Yes, you've all had a great deal of fun at my expense, you suppose.
But you've all just fueled the fire of my commitment to persevere, calmly.
I wonder just how productive you individually have been in the arts, what
resounding pieces of prose, poetry, painting, music, literature, what towering
pillars of work you've amassed? I expect the weak and the unaccomplished are the most vile, the most envious.
But here's the thing...there has been no activity on that blog entry for almost five days! Granted, some of the previous comments have been less than complimentary of Tono's blog's contents, but still...the martyr complex and corporate conspiracy theories are a bit much. (We've got enough conspiracy theorizing going on over in Perdue v. Brown--on BOTH sides of the case.)

After all, Tono, it was YOU who brought your stuff to Tod Goldberg. It was YOU who chose to announce your presence and your dispute with Tod to the entire blogger world by posting your rant on Tod's blog.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will pay for your abuse, in own your particular karmic fire, because what you crudely manufacturer will be thrown back at you in spades. You're working on three novels, huh? But you haven't finished one yet? What does that tell you? I've finished four so far. And two other books besides, snotnose. Two screenplays, twenty two short stories, ad nauseam. Let's have your extensive artistic resume, m'dreary!

In addition, you cannot debate my comments by character assault, like, what ARE you smoking. What does that kind of smut have to do with a conversation?

Where is your artistic work available to the public? Meanwhile, puke on my books, my CDs and my paintings, while you still try to figure out how you can go from a talentless hateful critic/law student to a geniune accomplished artist.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Claire?

Idle answer-

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Actually, absolute honesty, I WASN'T baiting him--or at least I wasn't intending to. Maybe I got a little snarky, it happens. But I wouldn't go as far as to call it "abuse" as he has (though I admit I can be a snotnose on occasion.) I merely thought he was going a bit overboard with the tirades about the Goldbergs and their corporate/philistine conspiracy to defile his work.

(Headshake) Oh well, I shall withdraw from that argument.

At least when arguing the merits/lack thereof of fanfic with you and the Goldberg gang, I can make heads or tails of what your point is (usually).

6:08 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Tono...

Perhaps I was harsh. I apologize for the "what are you smoking" remark, which I admit I tend to use when I truly am boggled to understand where a person is coming from.

However, I would not go so far as to call my post abusive or hateful.

I acknowledge my shortcomings as a writer, one of the worst of which is my inexperience. But as the oldest of my novel concepts is only two years old, I'm not ready to declare myself a failure yet.

I wasn't assaulting your character in your comments, merely baffled at why you were so outraged that the Goldbergs were talking about you when it was you who had approached Tod in the first place.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

You're working on three novels, huh? But you haven't finished one yet? What does that tell you? I've finished four so far. And two other books besides, snotnose. Two screenplays, twenty two short stories, ad nauseam. Let's have your extensive artistic resume, m'dreary!

I love this! Because we all know that the quantity and breadth of one's work is how we measure whether one is an artist. It has nothing to do with quality.


In addition, you cannot debate my comments by character assault, like, what ARE you smoking.

Yeah! No character assault. Unless you're Tono. Then you can call people talentless and hateful. And "snotnose". Unless "snotnose" was meant as a term of endearment?

I'm glad he said those things though. His threat of karmic retribution for your abuse is more amusing when he is calling you names. (I'm pretty sure a holier-than-thou attitude, even if it is used in self defense, is still a karmic landmine.)

12:58 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn Smith said...

Thanks, Erik. I had those same thoughts myself, but doubted he'd care to hear them from me, since it's quite clear what he thinks of my credentials.

Apparently, being a rational, reasonably educated, human being doesn't count as a credential if you're a young person who hasn't finished your books yet.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Erik said...

Glad to be of service. :)

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric: You may have found a quaint common sentiment to mask your ignorance, but whether quality or quantity is the thing, I suggest you produce and let us see.
Joy: I apologize as well for take the bait and again at, presenting myself. It's just too bad that I hoped another writer in my local arena might aid me in broadcasting my message. It might seem rash of me to hound and persecute those that have chosen to be my enemies. Your sane lives of quiet sweat might not understand this angst, zeitgeist, this mole. My work is available to the public. Shit, it's dirt cheap. Almost free, as long as you have the dollar of technology. The peso of public access. The ruble of chat rooms.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home